Aside from the manipulation of muscle tissue, your massage experience should reach the senses of security, trust and relaxation. Actual massage technique (the touch, pressure and use of friction) are only a part of the session.
In other words, you deserve to be treated well. Your concerns should be listened to and respected.
No matter which massage therapist you see, you deserve that therapist to:
- Provide a safe and secure environment and carry liability insurance for you protection as well as the therapists.
- The therapist should have competency in human anatomy & physiology.
- Maintain records including continuing education, certifications and session notes.
- Do his or her best to secure your comfort on the massage table.
- Should you be too warm or cold, a therapist should adjust room temperature and/or provide you with coverings.
- You should be regularly asked about the comfort of the pressure and technique she or he uses during your session.
- You should have privacy to dress and undress, and unless you both agree otherwise, the areas of your body that are not receiving massage should be covered.
- You are unique and deserve an individualized approach to your session. Not some stereotypical, cookie cutter “rub down.”
To get the most out of your massage experience, you DO need to take some responsibility, too. Don’t be afraid to communicate your needs with your therapist. Speak up! Remember to:
- Tell your therapist if the pressure is too light, deep, painful or otherwise uncomfortable.
- Update your medical information frequently with your therapist.
- Honor your therapists’ time and call 24 hours in advance if you need to cancel.
- Definitely cancel if you are sick or contagious.
- Don’t forget to let your physician know that you are receiving massage therapy.
- If you are confused or need more information you should be able to freely share your concerns with your therapist as they arise.
Not only do I specialize in massage for pain management, but I am excellent at introducing the benefits of massage to first time clients, too. Feel free to call 713-562-2474 or book your session with me online HERE. I look forward to seeing you soon!