Specialized diets, such as vegetarian or low sugar, were difficult to adhere to in the recent past. However, the food and dining industries have become more aware of personal aversions to factory farming and of medical conditions, like diabetes and celiac disease. Let one of these five free iPhone apps help you find tonight’s perfect recipe or restaurant.
1. Edamam is a search engine that matches recipes to your craving. This app searches recipe sites, such as Epicurious.com, Bon Appetit.com and 101 Cookbooks.com, until it finds the perfect recipe. Edamam lets you search by 11 special diets as well as by calories. Have a sudden craving for gluten-free peanut butter cookies? That is no problem for Edamam.
2. Food Community is an app by Nommunity.com that helps you find healthy restaurants, specializing in foods that fit your vegan, vegetarian, kosher, gluten-free or locavore diet. Locavores are people who focus on eating locally grown food, a great idea if you value local farmers and fresh ingredients. Food Community is a must-have app for those on strict diets who enjoy going out with friends and family. Never let your eating restrictions keep you home again.
3. Green Menu specializes in vegan, vegetarian and “vegetable friendly” restaurants. Like Food Community, this app helps you find great places to eat. In addition to restaurant information, however, each Green Menu affiliate offers special discounts or coupons for using the app.
4. HealthyOut helps those on a restricted diet navigate popular restaurants, making this another great app to use while dining with friends and family. The app lets you find niche items by searching the menus of popular chain restaurants as well as most San Francisco restaurants. The app also includes a wide variety of nutrition information, including Weight Watchers points.
5. Whole Foods Market Recipes is an app created by Whole Foods, a popular natural and organic grocery chain. Although the app has 10 different diet categories, it also allows searches by course, cuisine, occasions and more.
The dinner dilemma can be very difficult for those on special diets, making these five iPhone apps perfect dining companions. Armed with these apps, those on restricted diets no longer have to feel like they are difficult to please or unable to attend certain occasions.
In addition, innovative recipes are nearly limitless so that no one has to become bored with a specialized eating plan. Food should be pleasurable, not stressful, and these apps are designed for healthy eating without the stress. And don’t forget the power of one-on-one accountability!
Ask me about my “Signature Wellness Program” and how you can get your 14-day free trial. Call me at 713-562-2474 now!
As always – enjoy your life.
John Aaron Villarreal
Bio: I am a Houston based, male massage therapist and wellness coach specializing in pain management and health programs for individuals over the age of forty. I laugh - a lot. I'm quirky but sincere. And, while I'm not a counselor, I do listen and I do care: Except for the times that I don't. That’s a joke - Did I mention that I like to laugh? Anyway, visit my website, call or email me and let's get together to talk about you, and the many ways to live life better!
The Legal Stuff: I write to inform, inspire and encourage my readers to enjoy all that life has to offer.
The content and information on this site is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease.
Please consult your physician prior to starting any exercise, diet or wellness program.